Oct 5, 2010

Preparing for rotation

I planned to write something entirely different in this entry: how the meta for the upcoming Standard is going to be defined by three cards, and how we won't be seeing a single deck to beat similar to Jund from one year ago. If you're reading some pre-rotation stuff, you might have read it already. That was the plan. The thing is - this is simply not true.
When Zendikar became legal, there was one question you had to answer when designing a new deck: How do I beat Jund? And it wasn't an easy question. The beginning of this Standard will have a similar question begging answer: How do I beat Primeval Titan? The M11 mythic was already showing success before the rotation - just look at MTGO events, and you will see it everywhere. It's even worse in the 2-man queues, as some 30% decks being played are Primeval Titan builds. The percentage will grow when we get Scars of Mirrodin - the decks lose very little, and gain a nice tool to fight unfavoured matchups.
There are 2 Primeval Titan builds - Valakut Titan and Mono Green Eldrazi. If haven't been playing Magic in the last months, here's a quick look at both of them:

Main Deck

3 Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
11 Mountain
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

2 Avenger of Zendikar
1 Inferno Titan
2 Oracle of Mul Daya
4 Primeval Titan

3 Cultivate
4 Explore
4 Harrow
3 Khalni Heart Expedition
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Rampant Growth
3 Summoning Trap

Sideboard
2 Acidic Slime
2 Back to Nature
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
1 Lavaball Trap
1 Naturalize
3 Pyroclasm
2 Ricochet Trap

Mono G Eldrazi by Marcin Karolczak,
Main Deck

4 Eldrazi Temple
1 Eye of Ugin
12 Forest
4 Khalni Garden
1 Mystifying Maze
4 Tectonic Edge

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Primeval Titan
3 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

1 All Is Dust
3 Cultivate
3 Everflowing Chalice
3 Explore
4 Rampant Growth
4 Summoning Trap

Sideboard
2 Acidic Slime
2 All Is Dust
2 Fog
3 Hornet Sting
2 Master of the Wild Hunt
4 Obstinate Baloth

Both these decks are powerful, easy to play, and lose very little to rotation. Does it remind you something? Yup, Jund. They will be everywhere. In 2-man queues, expect them to exceed 50% of all decks played, similar to how Jund was in the first days of Alara-Zendikar Standard.

What does all this have to do with investing? First of all, I'm not that sure now that Wall of Omens was such a good investment. It doesn't do anything against Primeval Titan decks, so my hopes of it going up to 3 tix soon are slim. I will keep the ones I've already bought, but I won't buy any more. Second - I've mentioned a new tool for Primeval Titan build that helps against unfavoured matchups. The matchups I had in mind were aggro decks, especially RDW - and the tool is Wurmcoil Engine. And here comes my recommendation - buy Wurmcoil Engine promos. I know I've recommended buying Sun Titan promos, and it wasn't that good yet, but I feel Wurmcoil Engine is a better buy. It is colorless, so it fits a lot of decks, and it goes straight into the dominant decks of the coming meta.

As for Primeval Titan itself - it will also go up, but it's already quite high at 27 tix. I can't see it going above 50 tix, and that is already being pretty optimistic. You will make some profit, but it won't be that much. I have a Valakut build that I am going to sell after the rotation - and that's all the investing in Primeval Titan I'm going to do.

2 comments:

  1. Wall of Omens will still be played since UW-control (in various disguises) will remain popular, AND with RDW gaining a significant amount of good cards, we're probably down to the rock-paper-siscor format again, rdw(aggro), uw(control) ramp (combo-ish). With that information, it's probably time to start maindecking your Spreadin Seas again, and moving Mana leak to the sideboard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rock-paper-scissors format between Koth, Primeval Titan and Jace was exactly what I wanted to write earlier. But right now I don't think it's true - I've played a lot of Valakut vs UW matches on MTGO 2-man queues, and it always felt like a walk in the park - I was never under any kind of pressure. If UW chooses to leave lands untapped, you wait with your threats, build up land count and hoard Summoning Traps for one big turn. If they ever tap out, whatever they do is not going to be as powerful as casting Primeval Titan. It loses to RDW, but not by such a great margin, that's why I think Primeval Titan decks are in the best position of the three.

    ReplyDelete